Sunday, October 30, 2011

Chicago's Lakefront Bicycle Trail


Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race - H. G. Wells.


After I did the time lapse on the Sunrise video I had the idea of mounting the camera on my bicycle and snapping photos while I rode. So that's what I did for this video.  I'm pretty pleased with the video although the tilt bothers me a little bit. I'll have to watch that on the next one.  


For the bicycle sound I flipped I used the bicycle that I have up in my apartment. I flipped it over and put a microphone by the rear hub.  I tried several versions of the sound track. In my first attempts I tried to simulate the sounds of footsteps and I had a bike bell.  All of that was too much, so I simplified things and just recorded the sound of the chain and the occasional coasting hub.


Also, I tried different timings for the still photo. I started with one photo a second, but that was too slow.  At half a second per photo it was kind of like a bike riding kind of fast.  But the total video length was upwards of three minutes.  Way too long for a YouTube video.  So I cut it down to 0.01 seconds per frame, which was a low as I could go. It's kind of a fast ride, but it keeps your attention.






chicago "lake shore drive" "fixed gear" bicycle cyclist "critical mass" cycle cycling burn rubber cruise cycle speed spin lance armstrong tour de france balls lance bike bmx biking eddy merckx chicago awesome bicycle bike cycle northerly island chicago miyata schwinn raleigh fuji trek camera stop action animation fast action tour oak street beach north ave beach fullerton addison

No comments:

Post a Comment