Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Cloud Gate Train - Chicago's Millennium Park - The Bean





When I was a child on the family road trip I would stare at trees as they spun past the car window. Walking, the trees didn't spin. It was only the speed of the family car that showed me the rotation. So I got to thinking about walking around an object while taking a series of photos. With each step, the snap of a new photo. In sequence, a turning motion would be revealed.


Then there was the matter of sound. The sound needed to be mechanical.  I couldn't record a car going by. Car tires are to high pitched. Tires whine on the pavement. What I needed was a rumble.


I needed the sound of a train. I took my sound recorder over to the CTA El Tracks to get that sound.  I thought about going up to the station but that wasn't the sound. Down below the tracks in between stations, that was the sound. The sound started in the distance. It built as the train approached, thundered with the train over head, then diminished to silent.




*******************************************************************************************************


art painting artist beauty statue architecture beautiful creative existence expression life paint photo sculptor visual public art millenium park chicago cloud gate cloudgate the bean the-bean sky aeris rain advent children aerith cloud strife smoke sun fog Indian-born British artist Anish Kapoor stainless steel plates welded highly polished liquid mercury reflects distorts skyline omphalos warps reflections The 'L' the El rapid transit rapid transit system Chicago Transit Authority CTA New York City Subway rail mass transit Metro heavy-rail CTA MTA PATH bart metra pace PATCO Speedline

No comments:

Post a Comment