Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Sound

A couple of years ago I went to the premiere of Capitalism: A Love Story (2009) by Micheal Moore at the AMC. After the movie there was a question and answer session with Micheal Moore who was in attendance. A film student asked the question, "What should I pay attention to?" Mr Moore thought for a moment and said, sound.  He explained that it is easy to get wrapped up in the visual aspect of film making, when often the narrative is told more by the audio track than by the visual track.

When I shot my Sunrise video the other morning I came back and found I was lacking for a sound track. So this morning I have been shopping audio recorders on the internet. I settled on the RCA $29.99 unit to the left. There are many more expensive units on the market, but I'm not a pro audio guy.  I just need a few leaves rustling & birds chirping.

The first video I ever edited was The El Camino Diaries, back in 1999. It was shot on Hi-8 tape. That's analog. Back then I had to bump off the video to digital with a special PCI video card. It was not a standard setup and everything took forever. Nowadays just about anybody can shoot and edit video using their home  computer and a smartphone.

The first edit of "The El Camino Diaries" had to be shit canned.  I was trying to edit around the visual track.  It didn't work.  So I set up my camera and sat down and recorded the narrative by just telling a story. The rest was easy.  Once I had that audio track down the rest just fell into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment